Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Word "or" in true-false questions
Quote:If f = ω ( g ) , then algorithm f always runs faster than or takes the same time as g.

Assuming sufficiently large n and worst-case behavior, f would always run faster than, never take the same time as, g. If I follow the logical principle of the inclusive OR, this statement would indeed be true, even though f will never take the same amount of time as g. Am I reading this question correctly?
(09-04-2017, 06:24 PM)elmines Wrote:
Quote:If f = ω ( g ) , then algorithm f always runs faster than or takes the same time as g.

Assuming sufficiently large n and worst-case behavior, f would always run faster than, never take the same time as, g. If I follow the logical principle of the inclusive OR, this statement would indeed be true, even though f will never take the same amount of time as g. Am I reading this question correctly?

ω, >, Little Omega, Always slower than

So f takes more time than g, and is slower always. So False.

The correct answer for f always being faster than or equal to g would be:

f = O(g)

If the possibility of same time exists, it will be an upper case symbol or theta. This is my understanding at least.
ianbway is correct. f = ω ( g ) means that the f grows faster than g, which implies that f will take more time to run than g. for example n^3 = ω (n^2). This means n^3 grows faster than n^2, and n^3 will take more time than n^2.
(09-04-2017, 06:59 PM)ianbway Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 06:24 PM)elmines Wrote:

ω, >, Little Omega, Always slower than

So f takes more time than g, and is slower always. So False.

The correct answer for f always being faster than or equal to g would be:

f = O(g)

If the possibility of same time exists, it will be an upper case symbol or theta. This is my understanding at least.

Oh, duh. Thank you ianbway; that was sheer carelessnes on my part.
Actually, the question is kind of ambiguous. Logical or means only one has to be true, so, literally speaking, your original take would be correct. If f = ω ( g ), then f is slower than or equal to g, in the same way that if 5 < 6, then 5 <= 6. My intent, though, was for the answer to be false, so for the test, I'll word things better.